Monday, October 29, 2012

A Much Needed update!

Blog

Short Version

We know we've not posted in forever. For that, we're sorry. 

1. We've been really busy 
2. Kevin works 10-12 hour days now 
3. Kristi has been helping Kevin with Real estate. 
4. Church is going well and we're growing. 
5. We're really busy.
6. Holy Cow we live in NYC!!!!

The longer version:

We know...we get it...it's been a long time since we blogged. Before moving to NYC I used to read Freddy and Susan Wyatt's Blog about life in NYC. I used to get so bummed because it took them awhile to blog. It was one of the few blogs I ever found about life here and well...it's been far to long. So, I'll make no promises about updating weekly but we'll try to keep you informed. You can always email and call us!! 

Life here has become so hectic here lately that I'm actually writing this blog on the Subway. The "R" train in case you are wondering (nobody cares which train). Actually...the majority was written on the train and was finished several days ago. I'm finishing the last part on my day off because Hurricane Sandy is almost here and I've got the time to finish this! 

The month of October has been a fun one for us. At the beginning of the month Kristi's friends from seminary came to visit. They went all over the city. I was glad Kristi had that time to connect with her friends. (They wore her out!!) A few days later, we welcomed Mark and Rachel Anderson here from Knoxville. We showed them around the city which we enjoyed. It's ALWAYS nice to see a familiar face! We also welcomed Cory & Sami Lethgo here. We had a great time with them here in the city!! Can't wait for them to come back.

The ministry here has been going well also. Kristi began leading the women through a doctrine study. These women are eating it up. They are so hungry to learn and grow. Kristi really is doing a great job with this and has put a ton of work into it. 
The men's group has kicked off as well. I wish I could say I've been right in there but truth is I've been working 10-12 hour days and have missed them so far. I'll get there. I miss connecting with the guys. I have been meeting with 2 men in our church. We have been going through Basic Christian Doctrine and they seem to enjoy it. They ask a lot of questions which has been good. One thing I've really noticed is you have to be really intentional to reach people in the North. Down south I took a lot of that for granted.   

God continues to bless us despite our short-comings. It truly is amazing to see all we have accomplished here in the short 7 months. He continues to provide for us. He does this through people like you giving and praying. Please continue to remember us in your prayers. 

We'll be coming home for Thanksgiving. We'll be at Belmont Heights Baptist Church Sunday morning after Thanksgiving in Knoxville. 








The two pictures above were taken from a photographer in our church. One was used in the On Mission Magazine that NAMB put out for their fall magazine.




This picture is looking down 3rd Avenue in Bay Ridge. It was raining this day and the tall bridge in the back is the Verrazano Bridge which connects Brooklyn to Staten Island.


 Back in the summer our church our church had the chance to have a joint service with the Gallery Church in Manhattan. Our church led the music portion of the service. It was a great time of worship.



Living in NYC we see things like this all the time...or at least I do. I was walking to work on 31st and Madison and one block from my work they were filming this show. In the distance they are filming for White Collar.



There he is...the Naked Cowboy. In case we get hard pressed for money...I know what I can do! This guy was prancing around Times Square playing the guitar and taking pictures with tons of people.




This picture was taken by Todd Halliburton of West Lonsdale Baptist Church in Knoxville. Todd was my youth pastor growing up and we were blessed to have him and Leeanne and the college group from WLBC.


This month we welcomed Trey and his wife Caitlin. Trey moved to NYC to attend the Southern Seminary Extension. Trey leads worship as well. This particular morning he led and i'm on the djembe

A nice little shot of the city from the Empire State Building.


I got off the subway this particular morning at 34th Street and saw GMA outside shooting. This is the weatherman Sam Champion up close. He had just finished zip lining.



This is Citi Field (Met's Stadium). NAMB hooked up church planters and their families to a Faith Night. We watched the Braves beat the Mets this night and afterwards enjoyed a concert by MercyMe. This was an awesome time of worship.


This picture was taken from the 69th Street pier in Bay Ridge. This picture was taken on September 11th. As the sun set at this location we attended the Sept 11th Memorial that our community hosted.



This picture was taken at a Q&A session our church hosted. We had 18+ people there.

Pray for the Cabes as we minister in NYC! 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I'd loooove to see the On Mission Magazine!! Do you have a copy? I get really excited when my photos are used in print! :)

    ReplyDelete